Thursday, April 5, 2012

Dark Chocolate Raisinets

Raisinets. Mmmmm.
Even the thought of them make me smile. But, Nestle's raisinets are far from being anywhere near healthy. When visiting my parents, I notice every once in a while a bag of dark chocolate raisinets from Nestle. They offer them to me thinking they're doing good since the bag clearly reads, "dark chocolate." I've indulged a few times but always walk away feeling bloated and wake up the next morning with a sugar hangover. Blech!


I appreciate that Nestle made a dark raisinet, I do. However, not when the ingredients look like this (see right). Umm, hi, that's not dark chocolate. It's still loaded
with milkfat, nonfat milk, lactose, and too much sugar. Soy lecithin is an emulsifier (to make things spreadable) and is actually made from the sludge left over after soy has been processed. Thanks, but no thanks.

I took my craving for those delightful morsels into my own kitchen and the results were so yummy for both my tastebuds, belly and peace of mind! I love Enjoy Life's products. They make their products in a dedicated nut and gluten-free, casein-free, vegan and kosher facility. Holler! I use their mini chips for baking often. Ingredients: evaporated cane juice (FYI: a fancy name for sugar), chocolate liquor, non-dairy cocoa butter. Three ingredients compared to the nonsense in Nestle's.

Lauren's Dark Chocolate Raisinets:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup Enjoy Life's mini chips
2 handfuls dried raisins

Directions:
Spread chips in a saucepan and heat on low, or use a double boiler method on the stove. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. When chips look wet and are clearly hot, turn off heat and toss in raisins. Mix with spoon to coat. Toss in more raisins if there is more chocolate to coat. Spoon out chocolate covered raisins onto cookie sheet and separate with fingers (or utensils if hot). Place cookie sheet into fridge for a bit to cool and harden. Once they're dried they should pop right off of the parchment paper. Store in glass container in the fridge and enjoy when you need a sweet morsel of goodness!

If you're interested in the benefits of dark chocolate and a little bit about it, check out my old blog post: Dark chocolate = healthy chocolate.

2 comments:

  1. A sugar hangover? All starches are broken down into sugars (namely glucose) via enzymes in your gut during digestion. I've never heard of a sugar hangover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete