Friday, January 18, 2013

Green Juice = Glass of Sunshine!

When I get a whiff of those bitter greens at my
local health food store my mouth actually starts to water.
I love, love, love fresh green juice!
Everyone is always so shocked to hear me say this, but I totally refuse to buy a juicer.  They're expensive, BIG, a pain to clean and require tons of fresh produce in my fridge to juice when I'm ready.  No thanks.  I'll keep things simple and snag a juice during my usual trip to my health food store or while strolling through town.  It's an expensive habit, but to me not having the hassle is worth it. 

I also feel that even though juicing is SO great, it's important to make shakes in your blender as well.  I dig fiber and enjoy blending whole (intact) foods into a shake.  As with most things, it's all about finding a balance.  I flip flop between juices and shakes all week long, allowing my body to let me know what it's feeling like that day.  Now, with either of these, the whole chewing process is eliminated.  To be sure that you're not completely confusing your body (which sometimes can result in cravings later in the day), try to enjoy something crunchy with your shake or juice like some sliced apple chunks or nuts.  You can even sprinkle coconut flakes and raw cacao nibs on top of your shake to add some crunch while enjoying, too. 

Green Juice
When I purchase a green juice it's loaded with greens and only greens.  I always ask for extra kale and a dash of cayenne pepper.  ZING!  Juices with fruits can get high in sugar dangerously fast.  This is NOT good.  If you're having a "fruit" juice, be sure to add plenty of greens (such as spinach because it won't effect the taste) and make it only on special occasions.  You want to flood your cells with nutrients, not sugar!  They are best consumed fresh, but you can keep them only for a day at the most in the fridge.

Green Shake
When I blend my morning shakes no matter what I'm throwing in it, it always turns out green.  Spirulina is a staple in every shake, and I throw whatever greens in my fridge in as well (kale, spinach).    Be mindful of the sugar in your shakes as well.  These can come from an overload of fruits, powdered protein substitutes (with additives as well, ick), or whatever juice or milk you're adding to the shake.  

Why is there such a green juice craze?
Green juices are power-packed with nutrition. Green vegetables have the ability to transform sunshine into the food that all creatures consume. True to their nature, greens produce chlorophyll, which oxygenate your body. This enables us to release stored toxins in the body. Greens improve blood circulation and give your body a boost of energy.  Chlorophyll foods also act as a form of 'stored sunshine', to regulate calcium and Vitamin D deficiency. So if you get no sunshine, then increase the greens in your diet.  Drink up and feel the amazing benefits!  


No comments:

Post a Comment