Thursday, April 10, 2014

Homemade Moisturizer Recipe


Just for fun the other morning upon awakening, I decided to count how many products I used during my morning routine. I was convinced it would be about 8-10 because within the past 5-years or so I’ve significantly decreased the amount of products and cosmetics I use. 

I was totally wrong. 

By the time I walked out of the bathroom and was ready for my day I had used over 16 products from my toothpaste, hair products and makeup. Even though the products I purchase these days are higher quality...they’re still not 100% healthy! I am committing to making more of an effort with my everyday products with the same enthusiasm that I do with my food. Best part, it’s WAY cheaper!!

Funfact: within the past 3 months or so of doing this I’ve lost count at how many compliments I’ve gotten regarding my glowing skin!  

I stumbled across this recipe online, ordered some beeswax pellets and made some. I’m in love. My fiancĂ© is in love (and I didn’t even ask him to try, he willingly tried on his own!). I still can’t get over how quickly it took to throw it together. You only need a small amount each application and it absorbs fairly quickly into the skin. The smell will fade after a few minutes. It lasts a long time in the bathroom, so it doesn’t need to be refrigerated! Amazing for dry hands and feet, or even chapped lips. Got a baby with a rash? It helps their bum, too. Did I mention how affordable this moisturizer is? Please let me know if you give it a try!

Ingredients
1/2 cup olive oil (or almond oil)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup beeswax pellets (I bought mine on Amazon
10 drops of essential oil (optional, my favorite is lemongrass)
  
Directions
1. Combine the olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax into a heat proof jug or large jar.
2. Put the jug/jar in a saucepan and fill the pan with water until it comes 3/4 of the way up the jug/jar.
3. Put it on a low heat on the stove.  Heat and stir it until it has melted (about 5-10 minutes).
4. Now empty out the hot water from the pan and replace it with cold water to the same level.  Put the jug/jar back into the pan. This helps to cool the moisturizer down quickly, as you’ll notice.
5. Add your essential oil to the jug/jar now if you are using.
6. Now to finish this quickly, use an electric whisk to quickly whip the ingredients into a moisturizer.  OR if you don’t have a whisk you can use a fork and give it a good stir.  You may have to stir this every 5 minutes until the texture is thick and creamy if not using an electric whisk.
7. Spoon into a glass jar of your choice, something that will be accessible for you to stick your fingers in to grab some moisturizer during your bathroom routine. I bought a bunch of these jars - they work great, you can split up your moisturizer so that you have a few jars on hand, and they are super cute!

Recipe from GreenThickies.com

1 comment: