Monday, September 13, 2010

Sufjan's All Delighted People EP

Sufjan Steven's new 8-song EP, All Delighted People, is straight up wonderful. I love how Asthmatic Kitty Records describes him, "Sufjan mixes autobiography, religious fantasy, and regional history to create folk songs of grand proportions." His indie-folk sound is so eclectic and broad with an electronic twist, I just can't get enough of it. I adore ALL that he has ever created and always look forward to more. He will be releasing his next full length album in October. I obviously am counting down the days!

The song Enchanting Ghost, (click image on right to play on YouTube), is lovely and reminiscent of his unmistakable sound that resonates so well with me. The Owl and the Tanager (click Sufjan image to listen on YouTube) may be the most gorgeous song I've ever heard him sing (I'm totally exaggerating, because I can say that about 10 of his other songs) as he wails through a bunch of "ooooo's." I sing along and try to harmonize with him but it probably doesn't sound as pretty as I think it does. The end of the EP is Djohariah, a 17-minute treat for the ears with noisy guitar jams, strings and horns while a dramatic chorus and beautiful Sufjan sings. Heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment